If you google Elie Wiesel today, you get this list of awesome quotes. (I'd never even heard of him.)
Rest in peace, Mr. Wiesel. Thank you for leaving a legacy of love.
- We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.
- The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.
- There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
- No human race is superior; no religious faith is inferior. All collective judgments are wrong. Only racists make them.
- Friendship marks a life even more deeply than love. Love risks degenerating into obsession, friendship is never anything but sharing.
- Peace is our gift to each other.
- There are victories of the soul and spirit. Sometimes, even if you lose, you win.
- When a person doesn't have gratitude, something is missing in his or her humanity. A person can almost be defined by his or her attitude toward gratitude.
- Wherever men and women are persecuted because of their race, religion, or political views, that place must - at that moment - become the center of the universe.
- I have not lost faith in God. I have moments of anger and protest. Sometimes I've been closer to him for that reason.